Friday, October 9, 2009

First workout


I have decided upon the couch to 5k program to begin my journey.  The thought that in a mere 8-9 weeks I could run a race is attractive.  The promise of it not making me puke, or having to run till I hate myself, is even better.  http://www.coolrunning.com/cgi-bin/moxiebin/bm_tools.cgi?print=181;s=2_3;site=1  This plan made sense, after all I currently reside on the couch, and would like to run a 5k, so there I start.

I skeptically put on my new sports bra (guaranteed to stop bounce) put on some gear that looked "runny" and stepped out armed with my husband's fancy sports watch.  5 minutes of walking, then alternating 60 seconds of running, 90 seconds of walking, repeat till you've totaled 20 minutes. And I did it, and I didn't die, I didn't puke, I didn't feel the blood pounding through my veins, dare I say it for the first time in my life I felt ok running.  I'm sure I looked ridiculous, and I ran the back roads so nobody could see, but I ran and walked and ran and walked, and felt.... dare I say.... GOOD after my first workout.  The trick is now to (1) rest like the plan says, when I feel like seeing if I can repeat a positive experience for once in my life, and (2) once I've taken a day to rest, getting motivated enough to do it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment